Discover Lab Management Portal new release
The new release of Lab Management Portal, LMP 1.3, is now available. With this new release, we keep on progressing towards our main goal of making the daily work of researchers much simpler !
LMP 1.3 offers a set of innovative features to meet the challenges of modern research:
- How to ensure the traceability of experiments?
- How to ensure the reliability of instruments and results?
- How to check for available resources for an experiment?
- How to monitor inventory levels in real time?
- How to foster collaboration and dissemination of information within a research community?
We have also worked to further enhance the user experience by adding new dashboards, an intelligent and highly intuitive protocol editor, and easier navigation in our portfolio manager of protocols and experiments.
Traceability and reliability
One of the major challenges of research is to obtain exploitable, valid and reliable results. Otherwise, the results of experiments cannot be considered as scientific proof. Indeed, a well-designed and well-constructed experiment should be robust under questioning and focus criticism on conclusions rather than on potential experimental errors. A strong experimental design must follow established scientific protocols and generate good statistical data.
These cornerstones of scientific method have been our guiding principles for the design of the application, and especially for our new “Experiment Design & Execution” module.
Quickly retrieve all protocols and experiments in relation with a given project
Researchers often lose a lot of time retrieving what had been done by their predecessors. With LMP protocol manager, they can easily find:
- Protocols and experiments belonging to a project;
- Experiments performed for a given protocol;
- The project to which an experiment is attached.
Retrieve instruments and consumables used for a given experiment
Researchers will be able to find all the information about a given experiment, e.g :
- Devices used, reserved, reservation dates;
- Consumables used during an experiment with their batch numbers, consumable information (dates of receipt, entries and removals from stock, storage location);
- People involved in carrying out each protocol task;
- Comments, notes and exchanges between the different people involved.
Researchers will also be able to follow in real time the realization of an experiment and interact with people who have been assigned specific tasks by using the experiment form and/or ‘Visual Task Board’, a table view of experiments and tasks that can easily be managed by simple drag-and-drop
Ensure that results are reliable and allow for peer validation
- The researcher can guarantee the validity of the method by providing the protocol used. The link to raw data can also be attached to the protocol.
- The researcher will be able to check that the devices used have been properly maintained and calibrated, and therefore are compliant. This will partly guarantee the quality of results.
- For connected devices, LMP can retrieve measurement data such as temperature, pressure, etc. This will make it easier to identify the causes of an experiment failure.
- Thanks to this information, other researchers from the same community can easily validate a colleague’s results.
Resource management and inventory
How good management of resources and stocks can make life easier for both researchers and core facility managers ? LMP Resource Management has been improved with the new « Inventory Management » module.
No more waste of time when planning for an experiment
- The researcher knows in real time the state of his stock thanks to LMP dashboards;
- When planning an experiment, LMP automatically checks for availability of resources (devices, consumables, specialists);
- Scheduling an experiment also results in automatic reservation of all resources in one go.
Manage multiple measurement units
- Various measurement units are available for managing the quantities of consumables in the stock;
- These units are also available in the protocol editor.
Save time with stock alerts and resource localization
- Inputs and outputs are managed and traced;
- LMP automatically sends notifications and alerts on predefined inventory levels;
- Resources can be easily located through a map view that displays their location and status.
Collaborative work and dedicated social network
How to improve communication between researchers ? LMP 1.3 further enhances its contextual collaboration capabilities by leveraging the innovations of the Now Platform.
Multiple communication channels
‘Connect Chat’: Real-time messaging tool that allows users to:
- Discuss with one or more colleagues;
- Quickly share links, files and records by drag-and-drop into the chat space;
- Collaborate on any experiment by instantly connecting to the right people;
- Communicate in visual tasks tables call ‘Visual Task Board’ with people who share the same table;
- View conversations in real-time, comments and working notes of each task of an experiment.
- Update experiment steps directly from the conversation.
‘Work Notes’: Work notes are an important part of the task flow process and are used to communicate information about state transitions. The status stream adds these working notes to the ‘Notes’ field of any task performing this transition. For example, researchers may add work notes at each step of their experiment.
‘Live Feed’ : This dedicated social network is kind of an internal Facebook that allows to post and share content and information within the community. Live Feed provides a simple way for researchers to improve the visibility of their work, for core facilities to communicate about their service offerings , to stay informed about internal or external events, etc.
Improve visibility of work and test ideas with the community
With ‘Live Feed’ directly from the portal:
- Publish, respond to and evaluate messages, including links and images;
- Configure automatic messages that are generated when specific records are updated in LMP (e.g an experiment);
- Subscribe to email notifications when new posts are published;
- Navigate in a live stream that can include different types of customizable feeds: corporate, laboratory, a core facility, an experiment, a group, etc.
Researchers will have the opportunity to collaborate, disseminate information and establish links within their community. They will be able to get quick and large feedbacks on different research topics. The creation of discussion groups will allow them to test ideas or exchange on specific topics.
Want to learn more on Lab Management Portal 1.3 ? Contact us